Moldova loses 60% of Romanian grant of 100 million euros
CHISINAU (Moldova), March 29 (SeeNews) – Moldovan President Maia Sandu said the country lost 60 million euros ($ 70.7 million) on a 100 million non-repayable financial assistance program euros agreed with neighboring Romania in 2010, due to the refusal of the current provisional government and its predecessor to extend the agreement.
In times of deep crisis, Moldova lacks significant financial support as the country’s government refused to sign the additional protocol needed to extend the deal, Sandu said in a social media post on Sunday.
Moldova will try to resume talks with Romania for a new assistance program, Sandu added.
Romania’s Foreign Ministry announced on Sunday that the deal expires on March 28, after the Moldovan government said it did not have a mandate to sign the protocol because it was an interim cabinet without the support of parliament.
Moldova has been ruled by an interim government headed by Foreign Minister Aurel Ciocoi since December, when former Prime Minister Ion Chicu resigned in an attempt to trigger early parliamentary elections.
Last week, a cabinet proposed by Moldovan Prime Minister designate Igor Grosu failed to secure parliamentary approval due to a lack of quorum.
($ = 0.8486 euro)